As the new year arrives more and more people of all ages tend to have a health-related new years resolution, so beware of the trending fad diets out there.
Currently Trending Popular Diets: Ketogenic (Keto) Diet, Intermittent Fasting, Plant-based, Paleo, Whole30, Wheat Belly, Atkins, Weight Watchers, Bernstein, Elimination diets, FODMAP Diet, and Gluten-Free Diets.
No matter the diet, almost all have some significant health considerations. When your goals consist of wanting to eat healthier or improve a medical condition by following a certain diet or way of eating here are some things to consider:
- Does the diet provide all the nutrients you need for who you are?
- Does the author of the article or book know what your health issues are and how active and healthy you already are? Keep this in mind as the author of a popular diet book may be targeting a specific audience which is either not relevant to your case and/or could cause harm.
- Does the diet promote more than 2 pounds of weight loss per week?
- Does the diet eliminate one or more of the 4 food groups?
- Does the diet invent another food group, for example, a food or drink that you must have that is not a food group?
- Do they promote rituals using products they sell?
- Do they use testimonials as evidence of success in only a few cases?
- Do they claim to work for everyone?
- Is their a system in place to change exercise and eating habits long term?
- Are they critical of the medical and dietetic profession?
If you are interested in following a new diet or different way of eating, speak to health care professional such as a Registered Dietitian. Our Dietitians here at Nutrition Assessment Clinic can work with you to create a way of eating that works best for you and your health goals long-term. Call or email the clinic at email@example.com to learn more!
Have a happy healthy New Year!